Employee Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  I was injured at work.  What do I do?

A:  Notify your supervisor immediately.

Q:  How do I enroll in direct deposit?

A:  You can login to your Paychex E-Services account and submit your request online. 

Q:  What do I do if I obtain a second job?

A:  You must report all outside employment to your department head prior to the commencement of said employment.  Written authorization from your department head and the City Manager is required.

Q:  Can I see my personnel file?

A:  Yes.  You must contact the Human Resources office and schedule an appointment to view your personnel file.

Q:  I am bilingual.  Shouldn’t I be getting bilingual pay?

A:  Not necessarily.  When an employee is required to use bi-lingual skills on a continuous basis outside of his/her normal and typical job duties, that employee shall be granted $50.00 a month for use of this skill.  The City Manager shall determine the necessity of the use of bi-lingual skills and the Personnel Officer shall arrange for testing of employees interested in receiving bi-lingual pay prior to the granting of this amount. As information, this is a non-negotiated, management initiated policy, and may be modified or withdrawn at any time solely at the discretion of management.

Q:  I’ve had a death in the family.  Do I use my vacation leave to attend the services?

A:  Bereavement leave with pay shall be granted to all regular and probationary employees upon the death of a family member.  Family members are defined to include husband, wife, father, mother, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother, sister, brother-in law, sister-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, aunt, uncle, children, stepchildren, grandmother, grandfather, grandchildren, or any relative living in the same permanent residence as the employee.  Such leave of absence is not to exceed three (3) days, or five (5) days if out-of-state travel is required except for non-clerical, non-exempt Fire Department employees.  For these employees, bereavement leave shall be on a calendar day basis.  However, an employee may use up to three (3) days of accrued sick leave in accordance with this Section in addition to bereavement leave. 

Q:  How do I file for leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), California Family Rights Act (CFRA) or Pregnancy Disability Leave Act (PDL)? 

A:  If you are going to be absent from work for a reason that you feel qualifies for leave under one of the above mentioned acts, contact the Human Resources office. 

Q:  I have exhausted all of my FMLA, CFRA and/or PDL and I am not yet cleared by my physician to return to work.  What do I do? 

A:  Submit a written request for a leave of absence (LOA) to the Human Resources office.  You will receive a written response informing you whether or not your LOA request was approved. 

Q:  I have a conference with my son’s teacher on a day that I am scheduled to work. What do I do? 

A:  Any City employee who is a parent, guardian or grandparent having custody of one or more children in kindergarten or grades 1 through 12 or attending a licensed daycare facility shall be allowed up to forty (40) hours each school year, not to exceed eight (8) hours in any calendar month of the school year, without pay, to participate in activities of the school of their child.  The employee must provide reasonable advance notice of the planned absence.  The employee may be required to use vacation and or compensatory time off to cover the absence.  The City may require the employee to provide documentation from the school as verification that the employee participated in school activities on a specific date and at a particular time.  If both parents, guardians or grandparents having custody work for the agency at the same work site, only the first parent requesting will be entitled to leave under this provision. 

Q:  Can I use my sick leave to stay home and care for my ill child? 

A:  Employees may, in a calendar year, use up to one-half their annually accrued sick leave to attend to ill child, parent, or spouse. 

Q:  I would like to vote in the upcoming election, but I am scheduled to work.  Doesn’t my supervisor have to let me leave early so I have a chance to vote? 

A:  If an employee does not have sufficient time outside of working hours to vote at a statewide election, the employee may take up to two (2) hours off without loss of pay at the beginning or end of the regular working shift, whichever allows the most free time for voting and the least time off from the regular working shift, unless otherwise mutually agreed.  Prior approval 48 hours before the leave for this time off by the employee’s supervisor is required. 

Q:  I want to make a change to my health insurance.  How do I do that? 

A:  Health insurance changes that do not constitute a qualifying event can only be made during annual open enrollment.  We typically hold our open enrollment period sometime in late May through early June and any changes will take effect July 1.  

Q:  I would like to enroll in the ICMA 457 deferred compensation plan.  When is open enrollment? 

A:  There is no open enrollment period for the City's 457 deferred compensation plans. You can enroll or make changes at any time.  Contact the Human Resources office.

Employee Forms