The City of Coalinga’s Safe Routes to School Sidewalk Gap Closure and Pedestrian Improvements project is underway and this press release is meant to provide information related to construction activities, schedule and advise pedestrians and drivers of various parking restrictions, traffic control measures and school transportation related activities.
The project around the school campuses includes improvements such as the installation of new safer bulb-outs with crosswalks, ADA curb ramps, and sidewalk. Sunset Street, Baker Street, California Street, Van Ness/Washington, and Ash/4th Street are all impacted by the ongoing construction activities however, all streets will remain open to maintain accessibility to all school facilities.
The attached map identifies designated pedestrian crossings, vehicle access, no parking zones, bus pick up and drop off areas, and locations where there will be traffic control personnel directing traffic during pick up and drop of times to enhance traffic flow. Some highlights to consider:
- Wherever possible, please avoid driving on Sunset St. Use Cherry Lane to access the high school.
- Pick up and Drop off for Bishop should occur on Cambridge Ave or in front of the school.
- Pickup and drop off for Sunset Elementary is on Baker at the driveway south of the Sunset Auditorium.
- No parking, pick-ups or drop-offs on the east side of California St. There will be access for staff only to park in the Bishop parking lot behind the school via a one way in one way out driveway.
- Parents dropping off or picking up on California must have their children use the crosswalks at Harvard or Yale. CHUSD personnel will be providing traffic control at the Harvard Street crossing for Dawson students.
- There will be no parking on the southside of Baker with limited parking on the northside.
- There is limited street parking on Sunset for picking up and dropping off. All 4 new crosswalks on Sunset will be accessible.
- The intersection of Van Ness/Washington, Ash and Sunset will remain open to traffic.
- Drivers and Pedestrians please use EXTREME CAUTION when entering this area. The Police Department will be providing traffic control during pick up and drop off times to maintain a safe flow of traffic.
We ask that all parents, school staff and residents use extreme caution when walking and driving through these effected areas and follow all signage and keep traffic moving unless parked in a designated location. There is ongoing construction activity and several construction workers throughout the area.
We understand that construction creates a temporary inconvenience to everyone, however lets focus on the positive impacts all of these new improvements will create for our students, teachers and residents of the community. We are anticipating that construction should be wrapping up around the school campuses towards the end of August.
We appreciate your patience during this time and if you have any questions or concerns please reach out to the City of Coalinga at 559-935-1533.