Turf Replacement Pilot Program
The City of Coalinga has launched a pilot program, as of 4/25/2022, to help Coalinga Residents transform their lawns into a less water intensive design. Presently, only 10 applicants will be accepted during this time, and it will be on a first come first serve basis.
About Xeriscape Design
Xeriscape doesn't have to mean rocks and cactus. There are a plethora of hardy plants that are drought tolerant and take very little water once established.
Check out this article. It provides some good examples as well.
About Artificial Turf
Artificial turf can be a good alternative to suit your needs. However, please be aware that it is not always the best solution for any given scenario. It also has its own list of installation best practices and care requirements. Consider professional advice when installing or pursue a qualified contractor to complete the work for you.
To begin the process you must first apply. However, please make yourself aware of the general guidelines by reading further below.
- Must replace living turf or outdoor water surface
- Front/Back/Side Yard
- Single Family Residential
- Homeowner/Written Consent From Landlord
- Not required, but strongly recommended.
While there are other resources to help find and design a xeric style garden, the above listed website is very well suited to the task. Please be sure to check with local nurseries as well.
The plants used in the conversion must meet the following requirements:
- Must be indicated that the plant is drought tolerant
- The mature size of the plants must make up a minimum of 50% of the conversion.
- While not required, plants with a heat/hardiness index of 7 or greater will generally do better than those with a lower index. For reference, Coalinga has an index of 9b.
- Artificial Turf can be used to meet the 50% conversion criteria in lieu of living plant material.
- The amount of rock or mulch should not exceed 50% of the conversion.
- No more than 50% of your entire front/side yard is allowed to be a non-permeable surface such as concrete or paving stones. Should you wish to add non-permeable surfaces in your front/side yard as a part of the conversion, please be aware of this requirement.
- Back yards can use any amount of non-permeable surface, but cannot exceed 50% of the conversion.
- Turf Replacement(drought tolerant plants) – $1.00/sqft ($1500 max)
- Turf Replacement(artificial turf) -- $2.00/sqft($2100 max)
- Micro-drip Irrigation Retrofit (Valve + Pressure Red.+ System)-- $50.00 + $0.50/ft ($500 max)
- Programmable Irrigation Controller (S.M.A.R.T. controllers preferred) -- $100
- Max Total Benefit Cannot Exceed – $2100.
The city will not be responsible for reimbursing any money outside of the bounds given above. Any funds that exceed your identified rebate amount will be entirely the homeowners responsibility.
Program Event Outline
To become a part of the program, first you must apply. This indicates to the City, your interest in the program. The application can be found at the top of the page. Please be aware that this is a pilot program, and is being operated on a first come first serve basis. Any applicants that go beyond the 10 person maximum will be placed on a waiting list in the order in which they were received
Below outlines a rough series of events that will unfold during the process of the program.
- Measure turf area
- Verify it meets “General Requirements”
- Simple drawing *hand drawn illustration is acceptable
- Plant Coverage Worksheet
- Hardscape Worksheet
- Irrigation Worksheet
- 120 will be given to complete work
Post Inspection Phase
- 30 days for compliance
- Disperse funds